On 11 August 2008, the Entwicklungs- und Prüflabor Holztechnologie GmbH (EPH) was recognised by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) as "Third Party Certifier (TPC) of Composite Wood Products".
In June 2017, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) officially recognised the EPH as the first European TPC for the surveillance and certification acc. to the new "Formaldehyde Standards for Composite Wood Products Act, TSCA Title VI - 40 CFR Part 770".
As a TPC, the EPH has the CARB Registration No. TPC-10.
CARB reapproval granted
In a notification dated 1 February 2017, the State of California AIR RESOURCES BOARD (CARB) has confirmed by EXECUTIVE ORDER W-17-010 that the Entwicklungs- und Prüflabor Holztechnologie GmbH (EPH), Dresden, met all requirements as a Third Party Certifier and continued to be recognised (under the label TPC-10) for surveillance and certifying formaldehyde emissions from wood-based materials and timber products according to the ATCM rules. This recognition granted after extensive examination also includes the activities of the worldwide listed EPH partners and representatives and will remain valid for the next two years.
The following methods meeting IKEA and CARB requirements are available for formaldehyde testing:
- Test chamber method according to DIN EN 717-1 (test chamber size 0.225 m³, 1 m³, > 12 m³)
- Gas analysis method according to DIN EN 717-2 and DIN EN ISO 12460-3
- Perforator method according to DIN EN 120 and DIN EN ISO 12460-5
- Desiccator method according to JIS A 1460, ASTM D 5582
- Test chamber method according to ASTM E 1333 (test chamber size > 23 m³)
- Test chamber method according to ASTM D 6007 (test chamber size 0,1 m³ to 1.0 m³)